Candidates: I have IMSS, but I pay 2,200 pesos at the gynecologist – El Sol de México

When the issue of how to finance a good healthcare system In the first presidential debate, it was unfortunate to see that the women competing to govern the country do not have a genuine interest in improving this service and making it more accessible to Mexican women.

Nothing they said made me want to vote for any of them; Claudia Sheinbaum assured that he was going to invest more in health with resources that were generated in the fight against corruption in Cuatrotelandiaand Xochitl Galvez She wanted to look innovative with her blockchain card to pay for health services (I wish I had an idea how many women don’t have a bank account).

While they made the debate a circus of bickering around the Popular insurance, I remembered that I have been contributing to the IMSS for more than 10 years, that is, a period in which each month it has been deducted from my salary to have access to public health services, a housing loan and savings for retirement .

Until now I don’t have a medical record I need to monitor my physical and mental health, I don’t have a home loan either because it’s not enough and we don’t even want to talk about the pension. Let’s remember that for this reason, this space is called Desaforada.

In these more than 10 years I have been spending twice as much on health, on the one hand a part is deducted from my salary every month for social security, where I never use public medical services; and on the other hand, I spend resources in the private sector to be able to treat a flu or stomach ache.

In fact, recently I went to the gynecologist, a basic service that any Mexican should have access to from adolescence. I had a colonoscopy, ultrasound of the uterus, ovaries and a breast examination. Mand charged 2,200 pesos. It was a blow to my pocket, since it is not money that I have left over.

I mention it because these are the types of situations that millions of Mexicans face, in which they have social security, but do not use public services and spend on private services. (call them Dr. Simi, Salud Digna or Los Ángeles). We have a poor health service that is dying not only financially, but also in services.

The candidates missed a monumental opportunity to explain to Mexicans how to solve this problem in which Mexicans spend twice as much on health and that Universal coverage cannot be a reality if only some contribute.

I mean, currently Only 40% of Mexicans make contributions to social security and the remaining 60% do not have them because they work informally.

If any of the candidates had raised the problem of having this barrier between the informal-formal in the health system, their interest in improving health services from the most basic to the most specialized would have been more interesting and credible.

It is clear that trying to maintain a health system with the contributions of 40% of the population is not sustainable. And if they are both talking about a universal system, they should start by changing the labor structure of this worn-out country that is far from being Denmark.

Mail: elizabeth.albarran@elsoldemexico.com.mx

X: @ElizaAlbarran

TikTok: @elizalbarran11

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *